Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Distance is an evil thing

It seems to me as I continue to develop TileMax that communication is key.  When one fails to communicate, they leave the floor open to conjecture and criticism.  As I move through life I try to learn lessons from the mistakes and gains of others around me.  And recently the developer of the language I'm using seems to have shunned from communicating with the community that uses the product.  The lesson I seem to be observing is that silence is a confidence killer amongst a community of product users.  All the conjecture and criticism about what is happening with the product festers on the forums and without response from the developer lots of people within the community loose faith.  Then, when the developer engages the community he gets scrutinized and the apparent speculation comes out in droves by nay-sayers.  This would be incredibly frustrating as a developer and could very well run the risk of spinning ones drive to develop into the ground.  I can speak for myself while I now consider whether or not I have chosen the best language to suite my needs.  And that is sad since I've been a very faithful follower of it over many years.  So, now I consider porting to another language.. a thought that is really depressing.  I'm not saying I'm ready to jump ship yet... the developer has hinted at a very cool development... but with some very critical points made in the forums looming in my mind and the developer not speaking to them, I find even my confidence waining.  We'll see... for now it does what I need it to... no reason for a harsh change in course.   But my next project start might have to be reconsidered if I don't see some more professional communication from the developer soon.

1 comment:

  1. Obviously I know who you are talking about, and that would be a shame. There's not too many people who have done as much for the BMAX community as you, and I think you leaving it would be a major loss. Of course, whatever platform you end up on would be the better for it. I'm curious what your other options would be?

    ReplyDelete